This day didn't finish the way I expected. I had a message from N8 on my cell phone about an "interesting proposition" for the evening's plan. I hate messages like that. You don't know whether you want to really call back or not. I really needed to get to the books & finish my paper but I was curious about his "proposition". So I bit the bullet & decided to call him back to find out. Now, it was not the most convenient time to call back, since the kids had already been patient enough with mini-errands before finally arriving at our destination: PLAYGROUND. So, when we finally arrived at the playground & while they were still strapped in car seats, screaming for freedom, I quickly called him back....Ok, what's up? What do you mean? A plane? What kind? Why me? I don't get it. I've got screaming kids here. Ok, yes. I'm interested......
So at 615pm we were to be at Kickapoo Airport for Ange's fun ride on an airplane:
1942 Stearman
One word: WOW!
This was really an amazing adventure. I've never done anything like this. I felt like I was back in time. We had tornado warnings or watches (I get them confused!!!) and cloudy skies with a potential for lots of thunderstorms, but it ended up being a great evening for an open-air cockpit flight! The whole scene was funny. We knew N8's boss was going to be on a flight before me, but we didn't know how things were going to run. So when we arrived, we saw his boss & the pilot (call sign "Magic") about to take off. So we watched, took pictures & anticipated my turn. Akiko, Ozzy & Sophianne had joined us as spectators. As we saw the plane landing, we didn't know where to meet. But just outside the airport, they parked, with engine running. N8's boss jumped out & it was my turn to jump in! I was reluctant for a half a second, remembering all the warnings of DO NOT APPROACH MOVING BLADES (uhh, engine running!!). But when they waved me on, I climbed on the wing & jumped right in. N8 & his boss helped strap me in (what seemed to be a safety belt from many years ago- never seen THAT safety contraption before!) & I was told to be sure to put my belts on tight! (um...ok!...wait, why?) We took off & it was just amazing. I couldn't help but laugh constantly & keep saying "wow" or "unbelievable"! We flew over our house, and the southwestern part of Wichita Falls. The views from above are definitely more attractive! The sense of freedom is almost instant! After my quick tour of the town, a few flies near my house (hey Tucker & Massy!), he asked me if I liked roller coasters. OH YEAH! Magic then told me we were going to head near a different runway to do some acrobats, in case the engine failed....but that it hadn't happened before. (I appreciate that!) We started off with an aileron roll, then to a loop & a hammerhead loop. We had to "dive" down to pick up airspeed to start with the aileron roll, and with that, the exhilarating feeling rushed over me & I immediately realized, I had never experienced anything like this & it would be difficult to top. Ridiculously cool. I'm so glad I called N8 back.....
And then it was N8's turn!
We didn't expect this! After Magic landed & we taxied back to the airport, he asked if anyone else was flying! We did not anticipate a second ride, but I haven't seen N8 react that fast since my last request for him to bathe the dogs! He quickly emptied his pockets & ditched his hat & was strapped in within minutes. He was so excited.
Sophianne was LESS than pleased when she found out she wasn't going for a ride.
When they arrived, she was crying so hard. Akiko had broken the news to her that it was Ange's flight.....
She finally accepted defeat & cheered on the plane, regardless.
Eri was reluctant but very excited. He likes climbing on & tinkering with the planes when they are a bit quieter.
Leona could do without the noise, but liked seeing the plane in the sky.
Yup, that was cool.
We got to hang out at the hangar & check out Magic's planes. He & his wife fly with their 14 month old & travel all over the US. They don't fly commercial.
Ok, I'm ready to buy a plane!
Our attempts to get a family photo in front of the Stearman.
Yeah....family photos NEVER happen.
The winds were extremely strong & the crosswinds had us a bit scared a few times. There was a brief moment when I thought "oh, no....this isn't good", but luckily that was a very brief second. The sky was gorgeous. The landscape serene from way up high. Even though it was windy & loud, that was both a thrilling & peaceful adventure.

That is so Awesome :) What a great end to the day :D
ReplyDelete