Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Why Are The Dogs So Excited???

Tucker and Massy love visitors. They really love dog-lover visitors, but any visitor will do.


Even Gena, the not-so-dog-lover-visitor.

Gena came in through the laundry room with our normal 'welcoming committee' (aka Tucker & Massy) and in her usual laugh... I had to do a double take to see a) why my dogs were going nuts when it was 'just n8', and b) why I was hearing a familiar laugh.

N8 took the day off on Friday to drive down to DFW airport to pick Gena up for a 30th birthday surprise for me. Before he left that morning, he dressed in his normal work gear and said he'd be home a bit earlier that day. I thought nothing of it and continued on with the plan of the day, which turned out to be a horribly terrible Friday the 13th, to a certain point. I had finally put Eri & Leo to bed for naptime, straightened up a bit, and had heated my new aromatherapy neck pillow which my friend had just given me. I had just put it around my neck and was walking from the kitchen towards my bed, which was seriously calling my name, when the dogs went crazy & the familiar laugh echoed. I pretty much stood there in awe. My first thought was 'why in the world is Gena standing here?'...followed by 'great, there goes my nap'. Within no time it was decided that it was a coffee moment & we got out of the house, ran a few errands and sat at Starbucks (the first time in a LONG time for me) and chatted. It was really a great surprise.

We had a really nice & laid back kind of a visit...until Tuesday.

Tuesday is a day we should not repeat. Never go to Ft Worth Zoo during Spring Break. BAD IDEA. Do not continue with your efforts to attend any sort of major attraction if the parking lots are full. Just turn around and move on to Plan B. Even if Plan B is not quite created. I knew I should have turned around the second the most useless Zoo parking attendant could not assist me with a parking location. I knew I should have turned around when the next Zoo attendant told me they were so packed I should try to find a parking place along this random street. I knew I should have turned around when I saw the crowds. I knew I should have just called it quits when we arrived at noonish with the sun nice & HOT with a hungry Eri, a starving Leo & not enough shade.

So, that was the fastest Zoo visit we've ever experienced. We were there less than 3 hours and decided to try to beat the traffic. Hah. Impossible to 'beat' Dallas/Ft Worth traffic. Don't even get me started on the drivers here. One would think non-aggressive drivers would not be an annoying thing.

We finally made it to Gena's hotel, which had a bed calling both of our names, yet Eri found every other noun in the hotel room, calling his name. Upon arrival, I told Gena within 10 minutes she'd see why I did not think it was a good idea for Eri, Leo & I to join her for an overnighter. Now just before 5pm, Gena's eyes are really heavy and she kindly asks me if there is anything she can do. I reply, uh, stay awake??? So she and I make another outing for dinner as it was unfortunately necessary. We foolishly decided on PF Changs. Definitely forgot how fancy that place is. Another must-not-do for the list~ uh, don't bring kids who have not had a nap out to a fancier restaurant than McDonald's. Eri was beyond borrowed time. Leo was rather patient, which I was so thankful for, but after shoveling all food, whatever it was, in my mouth, I ditched Gena with the bill & escaped with two kids to change diapers & into pjs in the back of the car. Eri was so done he was calling for his blankie & paci & Mr. Puppydog. Leo put up zero fight for the car seat, which I only half expected since she'd be shoved into a stroller & car seat all day long.

We said our farewells to Gena and I thought to myself, man, I'd give anything to have a hotel room all to myself...and after that day & dinner, I'm willing to bet Gena was thinking the same thing.

A highly entertaining day that will never be repeated again.


Yet the zoo was still 'fun' & Eri had a blast searching for his favorite~ the giraffes, but was thrilled to see all of the different animals.

I have more pictures on snapfish, so you can let me know if you have a dire need to see more photos.

Surprise!
Gena came in wrapped in pink ribbons. She was my gift!
Leo had just woken up soon after Gena arrived and is wondering what in the world is going on!
Mr. Fix-It.
Eri takes any job very seriously.
All he wants to do is HELP.
Leona is so happy to have gotten Eri's cell phone.
N8 is still working out the kinks with his pizza making, but it's nearly dead-on.
(This one's a tad crispy)
It's like he needs a food journal to keep up with it!
Any one who visits typically enjoys but I'm definitely n8's pizza critic.
We really liked this one with pepperoni & genoa salami.
Eri was so excited to see the giraffes.
(p.s. I LOVE that Leo holds her own bottles).
Eri needs a little lift to see the monkeys.
Gena's favorite~ elephants!
Leo is definitely eyeing Eri's pretzels.
I don't blame her. Those things definitely have more flavor than the puffed airs she eats.

Nearing the end of our Zoo visit, Leo was completely captivated by this little bird.

Yes, this bird. I don't even think this bird was part of the Zoo exhibits.
This would be another reason why this Zoo visit was a bad idea.
You can find birds anywhere.
In honor of the animals, Leo wears a Save the Turtles t-shirt.
We LOVE handmedowns.
And yet, another reason why this Zoo visit was unnecessary.
While hanging out a the waterfowl exhibit, near Leo's other "bird exhibit", I was taking some pictures of Gena and Eri. I was trying to figure out why Eri was so enthralled with these ducks. We have ducks in Wichita Falls!
It was not the ducks he was interested it.
It was the construction going on right next door. They're creating a new exhibit, which kept Eri's attention.
Down the street we have tons of construction going on because they are building a new home.
We have birds, ducks & construction right outside our window!
(In a nutshell: boxes for birthday gifts & no special outings necessary.)
And this is where we finish.
This morning, Leo was so excited to have a handful of Cheerios after breakfast.
She cracks me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment for us and others to read!